Understanding Dyed Diesel Fuel

The world of diesel fuel products is expansive, so we’re demystifying dyed diesel in this blog post. Regular, clear diesel fuel is readily available at almost all fuel stations across the United States. It’s a common option and referred to by many names. You might hear it called regular diesel, auto diesel, highway diesel and on-road fuel. But what about it’s red-dyed sibling? Like clear diesel, there isn’t one standard industry name. People say red diesel, dyed diesel, colored diesel, and off-road diesel. Whether you’re a vehicle owner, operator or just plain curious, keep reading to learn about the purpose of off-road diesel.

Comparing Diesels

Clear and dyed diesels perform the same. While some clear diesels are tinted, they are not as deeply pigmented as red diesel. The red dye in off-road diesel simply distinguishes it from regular diesel. This distinction is important because dyed diesel is an untaxed fuel option. It’s use is strictly for off-road, non-highway purposes. In contrast, on-road vehicles use regular diesel which is subject to fuel taxes because they use government-funded infrastructure like public roads and highways.

Taxes on Diesel

City and state governments can implement fuel taxes. The funds they raise often help support the department of transportation. You will see this reflected in varying on-road diesel prices at cardlock stations. In Oregon, the Oregon Department of Transportation website states that, “Oregon’s fuel taxes are used for the creation, preservation and maintenance of Oregon’s transportation infrastructure.” For this reason, using off-road diesel in commercial vehicles is a form of tax evasion which is illegal. Discussing your vehicles and diesel usage with tax and fuel consultants is the best way to ensure compliance.

Dyed Diesel Applications

Some people refer to off-road diesel as farm diesel, but it’s not limited to agricultural use. You often find dyed diesel at construction sites. Common off-road equipment include diesel-powered tractors, construction equipment, yard trucks and generators. While these vehicles can’t be driven to the pump, fueling service companies typically offer on-site mobile fuel delivery. Customer Service Manager of Jubitz Fleet Services, Liz Valesca, explains that, “At Jubitz, we generally deliver off-road diesel to organizations with tanks that fuel diesel equipment and we do fuel off-road vehicles and equipment. We also have designated cardlock stations with dyed diesel which can be highly convenient for our customers.”

Due to off-road restrictions, when people purchase dyed diesel they usually fill a small tank. Alternatively, people purchasing at a pump may be put dyed diesel in refrigerated trailers that qualify as off-road because the trucks pulling them are fueled with on-road diesel. Smooth fleet operations mean having fuel when and where you need it. If you’re ready to learn more about Jubitz’s fuel services and how they can benefit your operations, reach out! Give us a call at 1-800-523-0600 or click here for more information.

How to Get Your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)

You’ve done the research and decided that being a truck driver might be the career for you. After all, trucks are still the most popular method of moving freight with expected industry growth of 5% over the next decade. Trucking companies don’t hire just anyone, though. You’ll first need to earn your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).


What you need to know before getting your CDL

Taking your sedan to work isn’t exactly the same as driving a big rig. Getting your CDL has more requirements than a non-commercial license, which is regulated by the FMCSA and Department of Transportation. Safety is everything on the road, and qualifications vary per vehicle type and professional duties.


The minimum requirements to apply for a CDL

Every state has a different path to getting your CDL, but there are some requirements across the board that every aspiring truck driver must meet;


Depending on your state, you may come across requirements such as having a minimum driving history of two years. Additionally, you may only drive within the state your CDL is issued in until you’ve turned 21 years of age.


Getting your Commercial Learner’s Permit

Like most jobs, operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) requires a certain amount of training and testing. Permits are issued through your state DMV. You may be tested on general CDL knowledge, driver safety, cargo transportation, air brakes, and more. 


Be better prepared for your CDL test with behind-the-wheel experience

Once you get your CLP, you’ll then be able to practice driving a CMV so long as a certified commercial driver’s license (CDL) truck driver is in the cab with you. You may learn through a private instructor or designated truck driving school. CDL driver training programs take on average seven weeks to complete. Note that you must hold your CPL for 14 days before you can test for your CDL.


Choosing the right type of CDL

With three CDL options to choose from, plus endorsements, picking the right one may feel daunting. The good thing is that you’ll quickly understand which one you need based on the specialized vehicles you drive.


CDL Class A

The Class A license is required for any vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of over 13 tons. It’s towing capacity needs to be over 5 tons to qualify for CDL Class A.

The most common Class A vehicles include;

Class A licenses are best suited for professionals who want to freely switch between Commercial Motor Vehicle options. CDL Class A also tends to cover most vehicle requirements of the other CDL types, with a few exceptions noted below.


CDL Class B

The Class B license is most often for a single vehicle with a GCWR of over 13 tons without a hitched trailer.

The most common Class B vehicles include;


CDL Class B

The Class C license is for vehicles with a GCWR under 13 tons that can also transport hazardous materials and over 16 passengers.




Endorsements are exceptions and permissions for CDL holders that allow truck drivers to operate a wider selection of Commercial Motor Vehicles. When getting your CPL, you may declare up to three endorsements that you intend to also qualify for upon passing your CDL test. You can become a more valuable prospect to trucking companies by taking additional tests for the following endorsements;


Ready for the road

We hope this has helped you define the right path for you as a truck driver! While there are many options to consider, the multiple commercial driver’s license (CDL) classes and endorsements allow optimal flexibility and fluidity to work across the trucking industry. Be sure to visit your state DMV site for additional requirements in getting your CDL.

Jubitz Honors Drivers During Driver Appreciation Week

Jubitz Honors Drivers During Driver Appreciation Week

Each year during National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, Jubitz Travel Center & Truck Stop hosts a barbecue bash from 10am-4pm. Our Driver Appreciation Day honors the professional drivers that keep our country moving.

Tropiceel at Jubitz

Tropiceel at Jubitz

This event is filled with prizes, vendors and delicious food that is free to patrons with a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).

Event Prizes at Driver Appreciation

Event Prizes

Glostone Trucking at Jubitz

Glostone Trucking at Jubitz

Jubitz’s annual event typically draws over 400 drivers and family members and friends of professional drivers are also welcome to participate. One family made a special trip to participate in what their daughter calls “Jubitz Day” this year.


Drivers (and their families) Come From All Over to Jubitz!

Another driver noted, “this is the only truck stop that does something this big for drivers. We love coming here!”. Jubitz is honored to have created a “can’t miss” event and is very proud to uphold that appreciation all year long!